So you’re considering a smart toaster oven, but aren’t quite sure if you should go with the more compact Breville 650 or the larger 800xl. Both are great toaster ovens, but there are some important things to consider when making your selection.
- If you’re tight on space, the more compact 650 might be the better choice. decide where you’ll want to store your toaster, and if the space you have available isn’t big enough, you might have a problem or you might store it away somewhere and not get it out as often because it’s hard to get to.
- The larger 800xl will take up 18.5 by 16.2 by 11.2 inches
- The more compact 650 will take up about 14.2 x 16.5 x 10 inches
- You’ll need about 4 inches of clearance space on both sides for safe operation, so take that into consideration as well.
- The larger 800xl has 9 pre-set cooking settings
- The 650 has 8 (so not too bad there)
- The 800xl has an auto sliding rack that will help you get to your food better
- The 650’s rack does not automatically slide out making it a little tougher to get your food out.
The “Smack Down” – Which is better?
The Breville BOV650XL (Compact & less Expensive)
The main things going for the smaller BOV650XL is the price (around $180) and that if your shelf is tiny, this model will fit better. Measure your counter before ordering just to make sure. You can fit a 12″ pizza into the 650XL and a 10″ baking pan.
The Breville BOV800XL (Spacious & More Options)
Our favorite is the BOV800xl because for just a little bit more in price, you get a whole lot more smart oven. You can fit a 13″ pizza pan and a 12 inch baking pan in the 800xl, so it’s not as if it’s 3 times as big as the 650xl. The real difference is the cooking options and auto eject tray on the 800xl. You have a lot more control with the 800xl.
Which is more popular?
Both smart ovens have received great reviews on Amazon. However, it’s important to note the number of reviews. As of this writing the smaller 650xl has over 45 reviews while the larger 800xl has over 375 reviews. That’s a big difference and a great indicator that the 800xl well outsells the smaller 650xl.
So when it comes down to it, take into consideration the space you have on your counter, the amount you think you’ll use it, and the price/value for the options.
Detailed Review of the Breville Bov800xl
Our pick is the bov800xl because of the extra cooking space and the better functionality.
We’ve posted a detailed review of the Breville bov800xl that you can read to see everything it can do.