Great Applications for the G1 Android Phone
There are some pretty cool applications for the G1.
- An incredible application. It’s so fun to scan items in the store and find them cheaper somewhere else or on Amazon.com.
- If you want to see prices more quickly, turn off the location finder in the application. That way the app doesn’t have to find out where you are and get local prices.
- Great for saving battery power. I highly recommend it. Another great benefit of the Power Manager is that you can easily toggle the Wi-fi, GPS, Cell Location, etc.
- The application has different settings that will take effect on your phone based on the battery level. You can have it automatically turn off the Wi-Fi, etc.
- This web browser is great for the G1.
- Pages are downloaded much faster because the images on the page aren’t displayed at full quality. On the smaller screen however, they look just fine.
- Just ran this morning using MyTracks. It’s pretty cool, but it took it a second to get a GPS lock on my location.
- The application tracks your position based on GPS and will store the route that you ran on Google Maps (you’ll need to be out in the open for the GPS to get a good lock).
Brain Genius Deluxe
- This application/game is a fun little way to beef up your memory skills.
- This application is great. Go outside at night, point your phone towards the heavens and the application will show the constellations in the sky based on your location/time of year.
- The constellations are mapped out with names.
- This would have been handy when I was working on that constellation merit badge when I was 12!
Here’s a video demo of SkyMap that we found on YouTube. The video is a little blurry, but you get the idea:
I’ve downloaded and tried a number of different applications, but ended up not using them very much and removing a number of other apps that always ran in the background but I never used. How to find out what applications are running in the background, use the System Monitor application – very handy.
All these apps can be found by accessing the Market icon from your android phone.